Peas are a perfect portable snack packed with manganese, vitamin C and folate. It’s amazing that something so sweet only has 14 little calories (for 10 snap peas)! I think the snap pea is the ultimate variety as it has all the juiciness of garden variety peas and the soft shell of the snow pea. The good news is that this means less work for you because you don’t have to shuck them, and more beneficial fibre from eating the pod.
Five Reasons Snap Peas Are A Great Snack:
1. They can boost your immunity: These peas are high in beta carotene and vitamin A. Retinol, which is a derivative of vitamin A, plays a pivotal role in the development of our immune cells, which fight off foreign invaders and keeps us healthy. (1)
2. Peas are good for your bones: Sugar snap peas are a great source of vitamin K, which has been shown to not only aid in the creation of new bone cells, but also helps prevent fractures and even some forms of bone cancer. (2)
3. They’re the ultimate guilt-free sweet snack: Sugar snap peas have a glycemic index of five, which means that they won’t send your blood sugar on a roller coaster ride and can aid in the prevention of diabetes. (3) Low-glycemic diets also help decrease fat stores and discourage insulin resistance, so you can shed pounds while still satisfying your sweet tooth.
4. Snap peas help prevent fatigue: Sugar snap peas contain 18 percent of the daily recommended intake of dietary iron in one cup. Iron has been shown to reduce female fatigue, even in non-iron deficient women. (4)
5. Up your daily fibre intake: Snap peas contain 4.5g of dietary fibre and 5g of protein per cup. A plant-based diet high in protein and fibre is the perfect recipe for a balanced weight-loss regime with long-lasting results. (5) Snap peas can also be combined with lima beans to create a complete amino acid profile.