This is my mom’s recipe, so it’s true comfort food to me! I’ve made different versions for every birthday in my family since I realized that my joint and digestive pain was caused by intolerance to gluten and sugar. This cake not only tastes great but also delivers a medicinal dose of cinnamon. You may be shocked by the 7 tsp used in the recipe, but if you divide the cake into 14 pieces, then each piece has 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. This amount of cinnamon, if taken on a daily basis, has been shown to reduce glucose, triglyceride and cholesterol levels by 10 to 30 percent.
This is one of the only desserts that makes me feel fantastic. I hope you enjoy it too.
2/3 cup unpateurized liquid honey or coconut nectar
1/4 cup sofened coconut oil
2 large organic eggs
½ cup organic applesauce
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups almonds (to make flour or used 2 2/3 cups of premade almond flour.)
7 tsp Ceylon cinnamon powder
1 tsp nutmeg powder
1 tsp allspice powder
1/2 tsp cloves powder
1 tsp ginger root powder
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1/2 tsp grey sea salt or pink rock salt
2 cups finely grated carrots, packed well
2/3 cup walntus
1/4 cup organic raisins
1 organic lemon, zested
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a 10 by 3 inch (23 cm × 7 cm) round glass baking dish with unbleached parchment paper. A little coconut oil on the bottom of the dish will help keep your parchment paper tacked down. Smooth the paper and fold the sides to fit the round dish.
2. In a large mixing bowl, blend together honey (or coconut nectar), coconut oil, eggs, applesauce and vanilla.
3. Process almonds in a food processor on high speed until they’re a fine meal that can be used as flour.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, spices, baking powder and salt. Add the grated carrots, walnuts, raisins and lemon zest.
5. Add the honey mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until well blended.
6. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes. A wooden toothpick or skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Makes 14 slices.