A fan favourite from my new book Hot Detox, this recipe is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner! The artichokes contain a substance that can increase the protective mucus that lines the stomach. That is, artichokes can keep the acids that break down our food from creating holes (ulcers) in the stomach lining. Artichokes, leeks, asparagus, arugula and herbs all help to cleanse the liver and bowel. Perfect for your detox! Click here to learn more about Hot Detox!
2 tbsp coconut oil, divided
2 cups finely chopped leeks
1 ½ cups asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into thirds
½ cup olives, pitted and sliced
2 tsp herbes de Provence
½ tsp Herbamare
2 cups arugula or baby spinach
14 oz jar water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
12 large organic eggs
To serve: organic salsa.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 13X9 inch baking dish with 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil and set aside.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining coconut oil and sauté the leeks, asparagus, olives, herbes de Provence and Herbamare for 5 minutes.
3. Add the arugula or spinach and cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, about 2 minutes.
4. Place the artichokes at the bottom of the baking dish. Spread the sauté mixture evenly over the artichokes.
5. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, and pour over the vegetables.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until eggs are set. Serve warm with a dollop of salsa.
Makes 8 servings.