This wonderful omelette celebrates the flavours of Italy. It’s both super high in protein and deeply satisfying. The onions and oregano in the seasoning contain phytonutrients that protect the olive oil from being damaged from cooking heat. The broccoli and carrot provide lots of healing vitamin A and fibre, which are beneficial for the digestive system.
1 tbsp organic olive oil
1 tsp Italian herb blend (basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme)
4 tbsp red onion, chopped
4 tbsp carrot, finely grated
1/2 cup broccoli, chopped fine
4 large free-range eggs
2 tbsp dairy-free pesto
pinch grey or pink sea salt
2 tbsp black beans
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
6 olives, chopped
1. Lightly coat a medium cast iron sauté pan with olive oil and add Italian herb blend and onion.
2. Heat pan over medium-low heat and add carrot and broccoli. Spritz liberally with filtered water or broth to ensure the oil doesn’t overheat. Sauté for about 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
3. In the meantime, whisk the eggs until they are foamy and light.
4. Pour eggs over the vegetables, cover and cook for about 2 minutes or until eggs are almost set.
5. Distribute pesto and black beans (if using) evenly over eggs.
6. Fold omelet in half and add more pesto for colour. Cook 2 minutes longer over low heat. Season with salt. Garnish with basil and olives, if using.
Makes 2 servings. If you’re cooking for one, consider packing the rest for an afternoon snack at work.