Over the years I have gotten great feedback from readers who have enjoyed the original Berry Pie recipe in Meals That Heal Inflammation. Many have reported that they have included this recipe in their repertoire of delicious and healthy treats. I am excited to bring to you the new and improved version of The Meals That Heal Inflammation Berry Pie. Let me know what you think of the changes.
All berries are loaded with salicylic acid, the same heart disease fighter found in aspirin. Berries also contain pigments that make their beautiful blue and red hues are good for your health. Berries contain phytochemicals and flavonoids that may help to reduce your risk of several types of cancers. Cranberries and blueberries contain a substance that may prevent bladder infections. Blueberries and raspberries also contain lutein, which is important for healthy vision.
Ingredients Of The Crust:
2 1/2 cups pecans or walnuts
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 1/2 tbs honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Ingredients Of The Pie:
2 cups water
3.5 Tbs agar agar flakes (found in a health food store)
6 Tbs honey
1.5 tsp PGX (or another brand of Konjac Root of your choice)
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
1.5 cups frozen wild blueberries
1.5 cups frozen raspberries (processed in a food processer)
Note: It is important that the berries are small or the agar agar and PGX will simply create a jelly mold around the berries. When the berries are small they mix with the agar agar and PGX to create a jam filling for the pie. For the raspberries, whisk them in a food processor using the pulsing feature until they are broken into very small pieces. Raspberries naturally form small piece when they are whisked frozen.
Prepare Crust First So It Is Ready To Receive The Berry Mixture:
1. Put pecans/walnuts in a food processor and whisk until it becomes a fine meal. Add honey, sat and cinnamon and remix.
2. Press pecan/walnut mixture into a 10 inch pie plate.
Then Prepare The Berry Mixture:
1. Have all ingredients on hand pre-measured.
2. Bring water to a boil, whisk in agar agar, salt, cinnamon and PGX.
3. Keep whisking while cooking for 2 minutes on high boil to dissolve and blend ingredients.
4. Take pot off the boil and whisk in honey.
5. Quickly whisk in blueberries and raspberries and stir vigorously for 30 seconds.
6. Immediately pour mixture into the pecan/walnut crust.
7. Top with whole fresh berries if desired.
8. Let set for 3-4 hours before serving.